🌙 Toggle light/dark mode at the bottom of this page
I'm a technical founder.
I'm passionate about online education and the creator economy.
I run an audio startup, Awesound.
I've tweeted ~4,000 times. I hope this site is a more navigable summary of some things I'm doing and currently thinking about.
In 2014, I quit McKinsey to create an audio platform.
Awesound has evolved into a company I'm proud of. I help story-tellers and educators make a living.
Awesound lets you securely sell audio from any website. It's used by podcast, audiobook and education companies.
It's small but profitable. Much-loved by current publishers. Growing mainly by word of mouth.
I'm now in Dublin, Ireland 🇮🇪 (Click to expand)
I'm Irish. Currently living in Dublin. I've lived in Cork, London, Puerto Rico, Boston and California. I visited 40 countries before COVID. I love everywhere 🌎 . I've a soft spot for America 🇺🇸.
- I'm 31.
I believe in the power of role models.
Awesound is one way I can help people find role models, but I'd like to do this more.
I love meeting new people – very energizing.
- If you ask people who know me what I'm like, they'll probably mention this. I'm in my element at conferences, weddings, etc.
- I love talking to customers. (Even if it's doing front-line customer support.)
- I'm high-energy.
I see the good.
- I'm optimistic by choice, but try not to be deluded. Honestly evaluating probabilities beats naïvely hoping for the best in the name of optimism.
- Separately, and more consistently, I have a "good news" filter for my attention. A negative story needs to meet a high bar for relevance for me to give it much time. I prefer to focus on building than complaining.
- You tend to see what you look for, so I look out for cool, positive things.
- I used to be the definition of extrovert, but COVID lockdowns have made me really get to know my introverted side.
TechnicalBuilding a podcast and audiobook platformIntegrating Stripe
- Learning to code
- Self-publishing audiobooks
Business / pleasure
- Working with creators and educators
- Evaluating startup ideas
- Podcasting (I've been helping folks do this for some years now)
- Management consulting (my last job)
- Founding a startup, bootstrapping, getting a small bit of funding from YC, getting distracted from customers by awards 🤦♂️, iterating based on customer feedback
Mental wealth, personal motivation, positive thinking, re-framing
- I'm the happiest person I know
- Talking to strangers
- Your relationship(s)
- Life decisions (I'll be your sounding board and ask questions)
The creator economy
- Music production (Logic Pro)
- Micropayments and the future of payments
- I have GPT-3 access, but I'm not really using it! What should I be building?
- What books, videos, podcasts or courses should I study?
- Crypto, DeFi
- Becoming a better interviewer and asking better questions – for podcasts etc.
- Being a better friend. Staying in touch with friends. Being a better romantic partner.
Fun (coding) projects Tech recommendationsUse Notion for your websitePredictionsEnd-of-day survey / journalBooks recommended to meWhat I believePrivate notes to self
I have a few ideas of other pages to add to this site
- Podcasts I like
- Startup ideas for you to run with
- Books I've read and highlights
- Investment learnings and/or thesis
- Unsolicited thoughts on relationships and other topics
- Advice to my younger self / Life learnings / advice to someone 10-20 years younger than me
- Fav. tweets
- Fav. quotes (here's a starter list)
- End of Day or End of Week — employees
- Chrome extensions
- Chrome custom shortcuts
- Brave vs Chrome
If you've other ideas, do let me know!
Cover photo: Kilkee, Co. Clare, West of Ireland
I've taken hundreds of photos of this patch of the coast, but this pic is from Mark Lawson. (Notion has a handy Unsplash integratration to boot.)